This is a meme that I participate in every year on LiveJournal. Even if you get nothing, it’s still a fun meme because it allows us to be kids again and make Christmas lists. Let’s face it, that kind of dreaming and hope is fun. So here’s my wishlist this year. If you want to make one, leave me a link and I’ll post it here.
THE ORIGINAL MEME:
Make a post (public, friends-locked, filtered… whatever you’re comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of ten holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related (“I’d love a Snape/Hermione icon that’s just for me”) to medium (“I wish for _____ on DVD”) to really big (“All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV”). The important thing is to make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it’s your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) can get in touch with you. Your home address is not required!
Make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ so that the holiday joy will spread.
Surf around your friends list (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now, here’s the important part…
If you see a wish you can grant, and it’s in your heart to do so, make someone’s wish come true. Sometimes one person’s trash is another’s treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don’t want or a gift certificate you won’t use – or even know where you could get someone’s dream purebred Basset Hound for free – do it.
You needn’t spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn’t to put people out, it’s to provide everyone a chance to be someone else’s holiday elf – to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not – it’s your call. There are no guarantees with this project, and no strings attached. Just… wish, and it might come true. Give and you might receive. You’ll have the joy of knowing you made someone’s holiday special.
- Shot glasses – I’ve just started collecting these, so I would love to have some new ones to add to my very small collection.
- Postcards – I like to get mail of the non-bill variety and postcards are always so awesome to look at. I’ve never really been anywhere big, but postcards kind of give me a way to do that without leaving my house.
- Books – I’ve read almost 200 books in the last year, so I think books are definitely something that I could see being useful in the next year. They can be new, used, or just recommendations.
- Crafting stuff – I’ve started learning how to do knitting recently, and I’m planning on learning how to do crochet & to sew as well, so I would love some supplies or patterns or just some suggestions.
- Toys for Amy Pond – She’ll be a year old on the 21st of December. She tears toys up really easily, so she’s only got a couple that are still in good enough shape for her to play with.
- Help with my domain hosting bill – It is processed through PayPal, but the money doesn’t go to me. It goes directly to DreamHost, the company that I get my site hosted through, and is automatically applied to my account. The minimum they’ll allow is $10.
- Guitar – No, I don’t expect anyone to get this for me. I would just like to learn how to play guitar sometime.
- Surprise me
- Gift Cards – Amazon.com, Target, and Barnes and Noble
- Anything from my Amazon wishlist