This is a meme that I participate in every year on LiveJournal. Even if you get nothing, it’s still a fun meme because it allows us to be kids again and make Christmas lists. Let’s face it, that kind of dreaming and hope is fun. So here’s my wishlist this year. If you want to make one, leave me a link and I’ll post it here.
Make a post (public, friends-locked, filtered… whatever you’re comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of ten holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related (“I’d love a Snape/Hermione icon that’s just for me”) to medium (“I wish for _____ on DVD”) to really big (“All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV”). The important thing is to make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it’s your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) can get in touch with you. Your home address is not required!
Make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ so that the holiday joy will spread.
Surf around your friends list (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now, here’s the important part…
If you see a wish you can grant, and it’s in your heart to do so, make someone’s wish come true. Sometimes one person’s trash is another’s treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don’t want or a gift certificate you won’t use – or even know where you could get someone’s dream purebred Basset Hound for free – do it.
You needn’t spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn’t to put people out, it’s to provide everyone a chance to be someone else’s holiday elf – to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not – it’s your call. There are no guarantees with this project, and no strings attached. Just… wish, and it might come true. Give and you might receive. You’ll have the joy of knowing you made someone’s holiday special.
- An iTunes digital playlist would be cool to receive or a gift card for iTunes. Music is one of the few things that helps me relax and feel safe anymore.
- Books – I love to read, and I will read just about any genre out there.
- Other gift cards that would be cool to have are for Starbucks and Rave Motion Pictures. I haven’t been to a movie in the theater or had anything from Starbucks in several years.
- Amazon.com wishlist – I know that there’s a lot of stuff on there, and I’ve been meaning to go back through and remove some of the stuff.
- Things to decorate my room. My family basically had our home condemned for about 4.5 months this year, and a lot of our stuff was tossed. Before that happened, I had the same posters up in my room that I’d had since I was 16 years old. Now, my room is deep purple, but there’s nothing besides paint on the walls and shelves are kind of empty, so I’d like to change that so that it seems more home-y.
- Home repairs – Kitchen appliances, specifically an oven/stove and a dishwasher. Our oven can’t be fixed and we can’t afford to get a new one. The stove-top works fine, but the oven itself is shot. The dishwasher is also unable to be fixed.In April of 2011, our roof got a bit damaged by all the storms that happened on the 27th. We went to the insurance company to get help with the roof and they gave us money for it, which wasn’t enough and ended up getting used to fix the house when it was condemned. Anyway, our insurance policy ended up being canceled because our house wasn’t valuable enough to the insurance company to continue the policy. The only way we can get new insurance is to get a new roof.
- Some fuzzy pink slippers. I have had the .com domain for fuzzypinkslippers for almost 12 years and I used to have actual fuzzy pink slippers that I could wear around the house. They got tossed, too. So, I would like some of those.
- Blu-Rays or DVDs – Another tool to escape my life.
- Peace of mind or hope or prayers or something like that – This last year has sucked and I would just liked for things to be easier or more peaceful for a while. I would like to know that my dogs are okay with their new owners. I would like to know what’s been causing my anemia. I just want to feel good or happy or safe or something nice.
- A teddy bear or some stuffed animal. I love plush toys and, as far as I’ve been able to tell, my childhood teddy bear got tossed by a well-meaning person who helped us after the house got condemned.